Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Essence of Chocolate



Chocolate is one of my favorite indulgences, the taste to me is so comforting and pure. However, I never really liked chocolate to begin with, even when I was a young child. I'm starting to realize that every time I eat chocolate my mood changes. Lately, I've been craving chocolate whenever I'm sad or just having a gloomy day. I become this happy and alleviated person. Free of any pain or thoughts. I really do believe that biting a bar of chocolate is connected to good moods and happy feelings. Why is that so? well I decided to do some research on chocolate and see if it does have an effect on your mood change. This is what I found:
According to Dr. Adrian Owen, a neuroscientist at the University of Cambridge, said that recent brain imaging studies have shed new light on why chocolate has an impact on mood. It's often assumed that chocolate contains psychoactive substances that affect brain chemistry. In fact, it is more likely that the unique combination of taste, texture and aroma in a bar of chocolate stimulate the pleasure centres than any other food."

*Researchers have found that eating chocolate, the number one food craved by American women, causes the brain to release endorphins, chemicals that make us feel good.
*Chocolate is a natural analgesic, or pain killer.
*Chocolate contains substances called Phenylethylamine and Seratonin, both of which (put simply), are mood lifting agents found naturally in the human brain. They are released into the nervous system by the brain when we are happy and when we are experiencing feelings of love, passion or lust. This causes rapid mood change, a rise in blood pressure and increasing heart rate, inducing those feelings of well being, bordering on euphoria usually associated with being in love.

No comments: