Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shirley UnMasked


unmasked? What do you mean?

The definiton of "unmasked" according to the Dictionary is
1. to put off one's mask; reveal the true nature.

How does the word "Mask" relate to my life. The mask is a symbol that I use to represents how I feel and what I am experiencing. There are moments when I feel trapped in my own world...I feel masked in appearance and I am unable to show my true nature.
I've been through so many dramatic changes in my life, like all of a sudden dealing with sickness at a young age, to facing challenges I never thought I would confront. It's transformed me in so many ways and I'm probably not same girl you've probably seen in my disturbia video below. Sometimes it gets to a point where it's diffcult to show my real self, and I don't know why. I'm not bragging, on the contrary, I feel fortunate to be living a life that's been both a blessing and a curse, but I've learned to take the negative things and bring them out in a positve light. Life has been inspiring and has taken me to many depths. but I feel it is time let loose and embrace who I am without fear. I think everyone feels masked once in a while and wants to be accepted for who they are.

I want to get to the very essence of my being, in all the ways I can think of, psychologically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. I want to Connect and be honest with myself and to those I care about around me.... and also to the world, which I hope will connect with me as well.

I found this article in a website called Bella online and it truely describes how the "mask" has an influential impact on my life. This article talks about it's symbolic meaning and what it means when you see it in your dreams. I personally haven't dreamt with a mask but it's stil reflects the concept and meaning I've been looking for.


"Our "mask" is the face we show to the world. We have a wardrobe of different masks for different people and situations. Your closet may include masks for job interviews, masks to wear at work, at parties or with family and friends. Some people may be worthy of seeing you without your mask, and some people may never earn that privilege.

Psychology calls this mask the "persona." The mask is a method we use to avoid revealing our true feelings for real or imagined reasons. We may use our masks for personal gain or for protection. We may also use our mask to avoid hurting or offending others.

Merging with our masks can be positive or negative. When the person wearing the confident professional mask actually becomes that person, this is positive. But identifying with a masks that hides true feelings that need an outlet can be negative and harmful to the true self.

Masks appearing in dreams as artificial beings such as aliens or cartoon characters may symbolize that you are pretending to be someone you are not. Ask yourself why and with whom you are wearing the mask. What does the mask say about the message you are sending about yourself to the world?

Are you forcing emotions or pretending to feel something that you no longer feel in a relationship? Are you hiding your feelings? Why? Are you dealing with the feeling that if you revealed your true self, people would turn away from you?

If someone else is wearing the mask, they likewise are hiding their true feelings from you or may be deceiving you in other ways. Take a look at the other symbols in the dream to identify the issue.

Your dream may be telling you to take a look at why you fear revealing your true self or feelings. Perhaps you have outgrown a relationship or career. If you are having difficulty connecting with who you really are, you may want to consider consulting some of the excellent books or tapes currently available. Debbie Ford's "The Secret of the Shadow - The Power of Owning Your Own Story" is one of many excellent tools and is highly recommmended."

No comments: